Health and Safety Agreement
Educational Housing Services is closely monitoring the ongoing COVID-19 situation and taking action to protect the health and well-being of residents and staff. We understand that this is an ever-changing and stressful time. It is our belief that working together collaboratively to implement several CDC-recommended strategies is the most immediate and practical means of slowing and reducing the community spread of the virus. EHS will continue to make policy adjustments and implement additional measures as necessary.
As a resident of the EHS community, I AGREE to take the required actions to protect the health and safety of our housing community during this global pandemic. Furthermore, I recognize my efforts keep me and those with whom I live or share common spaces with safer and healthier. I also acknowledge my failure to practice due diligence and compliance with the guidelines outlined hereafter, not only jeopardizes the health of my fellow residents but are a direct violation of my lease with Educational Housing Services. I acknowledge, by agreeing to adhere to these behavioral changes is the most essential way to reduce the threat of contracting the illness for myself and other members of our housing community.
- Protect Yourself and Others:
- Residents must wear a face mask/covering in public spaces. Including: lobbies, hallways, elevators, stairwells, dining/kitchen area, laundry room, lounges and other common spaces.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds frequently, especially after being in a public place or after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing, before touching food, and after using the bathroom. Use hand sanitizer at times when soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your face, mouth, eyes or nose.
- Practice Physical/Social Distancing:
- Residents must always limit interactions with others and always follow social distancing requirements — remain six feet away from others. Residents are not permitted to enter resident’s rooms other than their assigned living space. To connect with friends or other residents, please video chat, call or text them.
- Minimize touching surfaces in shared areas.
- Residents will NOT host and or attend large gatherings and parties.
- Avoid sharing food, drink, utensils or similar items.
- Adhere to the No Guests/Visitors Policy:
- No guest of any kind will be permitted in the residence at any time.
- Use the Elevators Accordingly (As Signage Directs):
- Each elevator has a capacity limit. Do not exceed that limit.
- Be patient and allow for enough time to wait for elevators when you must use.
- Use the stairs rather than share an elevator whenever possible.
- Room Occupancy – Family Unit:
- By selecting to live in a double/triple room, I am agreeing to live in a ‘Family Unit’ approach to room occupancy. This approach identifies all residents who live in one shared unit as a Family Unit, meaning that within their shared space they do not need to follow social distancing guidelines (no face coverings, no need to maintain six feet of distance in the room). It is understood that residents in this arrangement share exposure and are therefore responsible to one another to protect the integrity of their shared space by ensuring that social distancing and other protective measures are followed whenever they are outside the room. This also means that if one resident in the room is identified as being in need of quarantine, all members of the room will be quarantined, together.
- Self-Monitor and Care:
- Daily health screening, testing and contact tracing. – Residents must monitor their temperature and participate in any health screening my college and residence require. I will stay in my room if I am sick with COVID-19 symptoms or know that I have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. I will follow protocols for isolation of quarantine.
- NY State Travel Advisory – Quarantine:
- Per an Executive Order issued by New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo on June 25, 2020, a travel advisory is in place for travelers from many countries and states with significant rates of transmission for COVID-19. Please review list of impacted states here: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory. Residents must observe the 14-day quarantine upon arrival, and the full 14 days of quarantine are required for all residents traveling from a state/country with a travel advisory. Failure to comply to quarantine procedures, may result in disciplinary measures—including immediate removal from EHS housing without refund. Quarantine procedures can be found here: EHS - Quarantine Procedures.
Additional measures to minimize the exposure of residents to COVID-19:
Residents are strongly ENCOURAGED to:
Get a flu vaccine when available during the fall semester.
Carry hand sanitizer, an extra face covering, and cleaning wipes in my bag/backpack.
Keep a list of people and locations you visit each week.
Limit travel and comply with non-essential travel restrictions.
Bring only essential belongings to the residence.
Prepare a plan for vacating the residence in the event of a closure due to COVID 19. There may be limited notice for residents to prepare for a departure from the residence.
Residents are strongly DISCOURAGED:
Leaving the residence to visit family and friends. This increases the likelihood of exposure to infectious individuals and locations.
Entering off-campus/non-college residences, especially if large groups of individuals may be gathering there.
What Happens if You Do Not Comply?
It is important that everyone adhere to these policies for your own well-being and for the well-being of those around us--other residents and staff. Failure to comply with the expectations above may result in disciplinary measures—including immediate removal from EHS housing without refund.
COVID-19 is a highly contagious virus and it is possible to develop, contract and spread the virus even if all the safety precautions above and those recommended by the CDC, local, state and federal health agencies are followed. I understand that although Educational Housing Services is following the coronavirus guidelines issued by the CDC and others, I can never be completely safeguarded from all risk of illness caused by COVID-19. As such, I will do my best to ensure the most favorable outcome.
Thank you for your commitment and cooperation.