Assistant Property Manager
Educational Housing Services is the leading non-profit provider of quality, safe, and affordable dormitory housing in NYC. The Department of Facilities and Property Management is responsible for the efficient and cost-effective operations, maintenance, and management of five buildings totalling more than one million square feet with 4,000+ beds. The Assistant Property Manager has three broad responsibilities: 1) Oversee day-to-day maintenance and operations of multi-site student residences and corporate offices. 2) Schedule and supervise all turnover activities. 3) Manage small capital improvement projects.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to exercise individual initiative in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with changing priorities.
- Leadership and project management skills with a strong teamwork orientation.
- BS Degree in Facilities Management or related field or two years of experience in student/multi-family housing or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- High level of organization and attention to details.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to exercise professional judgment and discretion.
- Proficient in MS Office (especially Excel) and relevant software.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills (verbal and written).
- Solid understanding of hospitality procedures and best practices or experience with academic campuses and/or student residences preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- All duties are to be carried out in conjunction with or as delegated by a supervisor from the Facilities and Property Management Department
- Monitor work flow and complete building inspections to ensure the highest possible living standards are provided to EHS residents.
- Communicate with various stakeholders – students, staff members, landlords, contractors, and vendors – to continuously improve built environment.
- Provide oversight for small capital projects necessary to the improvement of the residences, including but not limited to: estimating/bidding, scheduling, construction coordination, providing direction and monitoring for quality design and workmanship, and regulatory compliance.
- Conduct research on operations and facilities issues as directed or suggest as seen fit, including keeping up-to-date on: safety issues, best practices, emergency and crisis preparation and resources, and on-the-job safety training.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned to enhance development of a positive student experience.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts; occasionally works in outside weather conditions; and occasionally is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, and vibration.
- Process, schedule, prioritize, and follow-up with maintenance requests to ensure repairs are completed in a timely and satisfactory manner.
- Assist in space planning and design and coordinate FF&E selection, purchase, and installation.
- Manage room preparations for incoming students.
- Maintain an awareness of issues relating to student housing.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement in all aspects of residence management.
Compensation is determined based on experience.
Due to the high volume of candidates, please no phone calls.
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to facilities [at] studenthousing [dot] org
Human Resources 55 Clark Street Brooklyn, NY 11201 Fax: (212) 658-9782