Prepare For Your Arrival
Here are some tips to help you plan:
- Closet space is limited so you do not want to bring your entire wardrobe, but you should plan ahead for the upcoming season. New York has four seasons; it is cool in the fall and can get quite cold in the winter. If you are going home for the Thanksgiving holidays or somewhere around then, you can probably wait until that time to bring a heavy winter coat. However, you should pack a rain coat and rain boots for all year.
- Tupperware is great for food storage. Since you must store your cooking supplies in your room, you may want to consider bringing a plastic bin that they all can fit easily into.
- Although you may want to bring a car full of food, there are grocery stores right around the corner. You should bring items with you that do not expire right away. You will have a small size refrigerator with a mini freezer and a microwave in your room.
- You may want to consider purchasing a lock box for your important items. While we are confident you and your roommate will get along, we think it is a good idea to keep your valuable items locked so only you have access. We are not responsible for any lost/stolen items.
- While there is a Television with a great cable package in your room, you might want to bring a DVD player and DVDs.
- Do not bring in items that are dirty or have been discarded (such as furniture left on the street). Such dirty or dilapidated items may have pests such as bedbugs and will not be allowed in the residence even if it meets guidelines.
- We recommend that you use luggage with wheels for smooth move in and move out experiences.
Click Here to view a list of suggested Items to bring.
For your safety and the safety of others, the following items are prohibited. If these are found, there will be a penalty fee of $100.00, disciplinary action will be taken and item(s) will be confiscated, donated or discarded (click here for more information on outside furniture, prohibited items, and Health and Safety Information).
- Alcohol (regardless of age, the New Yorker is an alochol-free residence)
- Illegal substances of any nature
- Halogen lighting equipment
- Electric or gas-powered heaters
- Candles, incense, smoking and/or drug paraphernalia of any kind
- Flammable decorations such as Christmas lights etc.
- Explosives, fireworks, weapons of any kind, smoke laden materials, and/or instruments
- Furniture, extra refrigerator or microwave not provided by EHS.
- Hover boards, self-propelled scooters
Keep in mind that overnight guests are not permitted during your first week at the residence. This allows new residents to socialize with their roommates as well as become better acquainted with the residence hall community.
Regardless of length of stay, the guest is expected to abide by all college, building and EHS policies, procedures, regulations and standards. The host must remain with the guest at all times and is responsible for their actions. For full policies and procedures of your residence, please read our Code of Conduct.
Here is a list of hotels that are near our residences. Some of the hotels give a special discount to our EHS community (friends and family).
WYNDHAM NEW YORKER HOTEL
Address: 481 8th Ave, New York, NY 10001
Discount: Special pricing to friends and family of EHS. Please use Code: XXXLOC60 (Call M-F from 8am to 5pm)
UPPER YORKVILLE SUITES
Near the 1760 Third Avenue Residence
Address: 1876 3rd Avenue New York, NY 10029 (Between 103 & 104 street)
Discount: 10% off Reg. single or double
- Use the code: ehs-upperyorkvillesuites for online discount book.
Near the St. George Towers
Address: 85 Smith Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Telephone: 718.852.8585 or 347.227.4854
- Discount: A special room rate discount is given to parents of residents and staff (15% off BAR). Click Here for discount or call us stating that you are with Educational Housing Services.
NEW YORK MARRIOTT AT THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE
Near the St. George Towers
Address: 333 Adams Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201
HAMPTON INN BROOKLYN DOWNTOWN
Near the St. George Residence
Address: 125 Flatbush Ave. Extension, Bklyn, NY 11201
Telephone: (718) 875-8800
DOUBLETREE BY HILTON HOTEL METROPOLITAN
Near the Marymount Residence
Address: 569 Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10022
Telephone: (212) 752-7000
COURTYARD NEW YORK MANHATTANNear the Marymount Residence
Address: 866 3rd Ave, New York, NY 10022
Telephone: (212) 644-1300
HAMPTON INN MANHATTAN-SEAPORT
Near the John Street Residence
Address: 320 Pearl St, New York, NY 10038
Telephone: (212) 571-4400
Near the New Yorker Residence
- Address: 401 7th Avenue, New York, NY 10001
Telephone: (212) 736-5000
COURTYARD NEW YORK MANHATTAN
Near the 1760 Third Avenue Residence
Address: 410 E 92nd St, New York, NY 10128
Telephone: (212) 410-6777
Other Important Information
481 West Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10001
If You Are Arriving by Public Transportation Including Taxi:
Upon your arrival to the residence, enter the New Yorker Hotel front entrance. Go straight back toward security and they will direct you to the EHS office on the 15th floor (Room 1545). Please bring a valid photo ID (state, school ID or passport) to start your check-in process. There you will be greeted by a staff member who will check you in and provide you with your key/ID card as well as other important information.
If You Are Arriving Via Car:
We ask that you pull your car to the Service Entrance on 35th Street (between 8th and 9th Avenues) and to the left hand side to unload. We recommend that someone stay with the car until all of your belongings have been unloaded. While they are unloading, you should enter the service entrance and tell security you are here to check-in. They will direct you to the 15th Floor (room 1545) where you will be greeted by a staff member.
Afterwards, you can move your car to a nearby parking garage or parking space. To help with your move, you may borrow a moving cart to bring your items up to your room. Moving carts are available on a first come, first serve basis.
Our official check-in time is typically between 10:00am-3:00pm. This timing allows us to assist new residents as best as possible, as well as make sure everyone has enough time to prepare for our Meet and Greet later that night. While we hope you are able to check-in during these times, we understand that is not always possible. Therefore, anyone arriving after 3pm should go directly to our Student Life Office on the 15th floor, where we will greet you and check you in!
How to Get Here
These Parking Garages are merely suggestions for your convenience and EHS does not assume responsibility for any vehicle or contents left inside the vehicle that is parked in any NYC parking establishment. Further, EHS does not assume responsibility for any damages or parking tickets given to vehicles that are parked, abandoned, immobilized by booting, or towed on NYC Streets.